800.285.8525 Contact us

How to file a work injury claim

If you're injured on the job, you won’t receive any benefits until you file a claim. Find out how to do that, and more.

Claim or incident?

Before you file a claim for workers' comp benefits, figure out whether what happened is considered a claim or an incident.

It's a claim if you seek medical treatment from a doctor, hospital, clinic, or other recognized provider for a work-related injury. If you weren't hurt seriously enough to seek medical treatment, it's an incident, but report it to your employer anyway so a more serious accident can be prevented, or in case you need treatment later.

If you're not sure if your situation is a claim or incident, just call us at 800.285.8525.

Help with filing a claim

What to do if you're injured at work

Notify your employer and follow your company's process. (Also tell them when you receive medical treatment.)

  • Get medical treatment, if necessary. Your injury officially becomes a claim when you receive treatment and file an 801 or 827 form.
  • Confirm with your employer that SAIF is your workers' comp insurer.
  • File an 801 (Report of Job Injury) form with SAIF if you want to file a claim. Once we receive the form we can start the claim process and determine if you are eligible for some benefits, such as lost wage payments and medication.
  • You can choose your own medical provider, but read Choosing a doctor first. Call us at 800.285.8525 if you need help finding a medical provider.
  • Tell the doctor that it's a work-related injury. The doctor should complete an 827 (Attending Physician) form with you and send the form to SAIF.
  • Update your employer about any work restrictions your doctor gives you.
  • Review the comprehensive guide, What happens if I'm hurt on the job, produced by the State of Oregon.

If you are in the hospital or cannot complete the 801 form due to the injury, your employer can send your 801 form to SAIF without your signature. But if at all possible, both of you should sign it.

Once we process your claim, you'll be eligible for the First Fill pharmacy program, which provides a limited number of cost-effective prescription drugs for work-related injuries until a decision has been made on your claim.

Related pages