In case of a severe or fatal workplace injury:
- Seek immediate medical attention. Dial 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. Follow any established drug and alcohol testing procedures you have in place.
- Notify Oregon OSHA within eight hours of a workplace fatality or catastrophe; or within 24 hours of an in-patient hospitalization, amputation, or eye loss.
To report a serious event to Oregon OSHA:
- Call 503.378.3272 or 800.922.2689.
- Or, call your nearest OSHA office.
Be prepared to give your business name, names of employees affected, location and time of the incident, brief description of the incident, contact person, and phone number. Visit OSHA's website for more information on reporting a fatality or severe injury.
- Secure the accident scene. Ensure the safety of others in the area. Only allow access to authorized people. Do not disturb the scene until Oregon OSHA investigates, unless a law enforcement officer tells you to do so, or if it's necessary to safely reach victims or to prevent injuries.
- File a claim. Follow the instructions to complete an 801 form and submit it online or send it to SAIF by email, fax, or mail.
We're here to help. Call SAIF toll-free at 800.285.8525 (Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) After business hours, leave a detailed message, including your contact information. We'll get back to you the following business morning.