Don’t just sit there
During National Safety Month, find ergo tips for working comfortably and safely wherever you are.
posted June 01, 2017
Did you know?
- Strains and sprains are the most frequent injury for SAIF policyholders, with nearly 15,000 claims a year.
- In the last two decades, the percentage of workers who telecommute has increased by nearly 30 percent.
- Tilting your head 60 degrees to look at your phone adds 50 pounds of weight to your neck.
Here's what you can do:
- At your workstation, choose a fully adjustable chair that supports the curve of your lower back. Keep your feet flat on the floor, upper legs and forearms parallel, elbows at your side, and wrists flat.
- If you use a laptop as your primary work computer, consider adding a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- Position the monitor directly in front of you, about an arm's length away. Adjust screen height (including phones and tablets) so your head doesn't tilt forward or back.
- Schedule frequent breaks away from your computer or device. Improve balance and posture with stretching and strengthening exercises.
Find resources on working comfortably and safely, including our Go Ergo! video series, on our safety and health site.
Get more tips during National Safety Month: