Prepare for active shooters
During National Safety Month, make a plan to respond to workplace violence.
posted June 01, 2017
Did you know?
- Workplace violence can range from threats and verbal abuse to physical assaults and homicide.
- Between 2013 and 2015, workplace assaults and other violent acts injured 1,646 Oregon workers.
- Forty-six percent of active shooter events in the U.S. occurred in businesses, 24 percent in schools, and 10 percent on government property.
Here’s what you can do:
- Conduct a security assessment of your workplace. If necessary, consider making changes, including protective glass, card readers or buzz-through doors, and electronic alert systems.
- Engage employees and law enforcement in response planning, including how you will communicate about a potential threat, what actions to take during an incident, and post-incident recovery plans.
- Conduct training and drills.
Find videos and planning guides from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and others on our safety and health site.
Get more tips during National Safety Month: