SAIF hopes for fewer falls and more fa-la-las this season [videos]
New “Spot the Hazards” videos make holiday safety as fun and warm as an ugly sweater.
'Tis the season for holiday hazards-from chestnuts roasting on an open fire to walking in a winter wonderland, safety risks are everywhere this time of year.
That's why SAIF has released two 360-degree videos today to help remind Oregonians about small things that can add up to big trouble. The videos, where viewers try to spot holiday hazards, highlight home holiday safety risks and work holiday safety risks.
"Most people know not to step on the top part of a ladder, or to remove tripping hazards," said Leigh Manning, senior safety consultant at SAIF. "But when you're on deadline for holiday parties and workplace projects, it's easy to take the risk."
In addition to the videos, Manning offers the following tips to stay safe and have a happy holiday season, both at work and home:
- Remember ladder safety. Make sure you have the right ladder for the job. Do not overreach or lean too far to one side on the ladder, and always face the ladder when climbing up or down. Keep in mind, you have climbed too high if your knees are above the top of the stepladder.
- Don't overload circuits. Too many plugs can overload a circuit, leading to a power outage or an electrical hazard.
- Remove trip hazards. Decorations and extension cords can be tucked to the side so they don't cause a hazard.
- Avoid heavy loads. Carrying too many gifts or packages can be bad for your back.
- Reduce sweets. Holiday treats are fine in moderation, but consider bringing healthy snacks to workplace potlucks or holiday parties.
- Manage stress. It's easy to get stressed this time of year, but too much stress can lead to poor health. Visit saif.com/relax for tips on how to manage it.
"We hope people will speak up with their friends, family, and co-workers," says Manning. More information, including tips for other safety hazards, can be found at saif.com/safetyandhealth.
SAIF is Oregon's not-for-profit workers' compensation insurance company. For more than 100 years, we've been taking care of injured workers, helping people get back to work, and striving to make Oregon the safest and healthiest place to work. For more information, visit the About SAIF page on saif.com.